Sunday, May 26, 2013

Whistle While You Work

I felt blessed to be able to watch these birds Photo


Does a bird whistle or sing? This morning I watched as a pair of Carolina wrens brought twigs to a house I had hanging on my deck. The thing that I noticed most
was their singing. They worked in and out of the
singing joyfully as they fulfilled their created
purpose. Then I thought of all the people who had
a hand in providing me with the blessing. The
birdhouse was made of old barn wood from
Wisconsin. I felt thankful for the one who made the
barn. I am thankful for the one who saw value in
an old barn and made a birdhouse. I am thankful
for the craft store who valued the craftsmanship
and purchased the house to resell. I am thankful
for my daughter who saw the house and thought
of me, bought the house and spent way too much
in postage to get it to my home here in SC. The man who built the barn is probably dead, but his concern to shelter his animals is continuing to bless others. I wonder if he enjoyed building the barn. Did his wife help like the mother wren? Were there neighbor men to help with the work? Did he help his neighbors to build their barns? How did the man feel who made the birdhouse? Was it just for money or was there a memory of an old barn? How about the lady at the craft store? Did she think this was just money or a thing of beauty? I think I know how my daughter felt. She saw beauty and she felt love in memories. Obviously the birds saw it as a thing of beauty and love. They sang joyfully as they worked carrying twigs for their new home. Christ taught us to love one another and to care for one another. I think the birds demonstrated that very well by the way they worked together in song to build a new home.

Father, thank you for generations of hands that worked together to bring a house to birds who showed me how working together brings joy.

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him. Colossians 3:16,17

Have you built a birdhouse or made something that will build a memory for you and others? Leave comment to let us know how God is blessing you and remember to at least whistle while you work!

No comments: