Sunday, July 8, 2018

Who Doesn't Love a Fairy Tale?

This week I had the privilege of interviewing a fellow author from NC, Mrs. Janice Hopkins.  Her book It All Started at the Masquerade intrigued me because it seemed like a very familiar fairy tale with a purpose. If we look deeper into most stories there is a purpose for either good or bad. Thankfully Janice's books are for good. Join me as I understand more of Janice's purpose and how she accomplishes it.

Janice, how old were you when you started to write or knew you wanted to be a writer?


I actually started writing stories on my own in the third grade, and I’ve known I wanted to write ever since I fell in love with books when I was five. I would be a writer even if I never had anything published. It’s just part of who I am.

How did the idea for the book It All Started at the Masquerade come about?


Not long after I moved to Eastern North Carolina, the idea for the novel started forming, but it evolved and took some turns along the way. I first thought I might set in in Bath, the oldest town in North Carolina, but I found blocks to researching there. Edenton was another possibility, but there was way too much information to wade through and it would have taken me years. In the end, I set the book in Winton and Colerain, two small towns near me with a long history and friendly librarians and historians. However, I still used Edenton, because my main characters sail down the Chowan River to go to a masquerade ball in Edenton.

Is this story based on a true story?
No, Most of my stories are composites of people and not based on any one person.
How long did it take you to write this book?
It All Started at the Masquerade went rather quickly. I wrote the rough draft in about 6 weeks.

What type of research did you do for it?

I began with online research to give me a general idea. Setting a historical novel in the South prior to the Civil War can present research challenges since many of the court records were burned during the war. Next, I went to the local library where the novel is set. I found some great resources in their vertical files as well as on the shelves. Then, the library at the university near me has a great local history section which proved most helpful. Finally, there’s a local historian who has compiled a lot of information that I went to with specific questions.


I also use a dictionary to check to make sure any questionable words were used in my time period as I write historical novels. I use Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary first because it has an etymology given. However, many words had multiple meanings, and Webster only gives the date of the most common one, so if I need others, I use English through the Ages by William Brohaugh


I have also just released a contemporary book that has more mystery to it than usual. Deceitful Matters is set near Winston-Salem, North Carolina. I write mostly historical fiction, but occasionally, I like to take a break from so much research and write a contemporary.


In addition, I’ve just sent my first Christian non-fiction to the publisher. I find this book has put even more pressure on me to get everything right. I pray that On the Road to Jericho will be well-received and glorify God.

Who is your favorite author?

I like many of the Christian authors, but I’ll say Kate Whitmeyer. However, I also love The Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers and Tessa Afshar.

Where do you like to write?

I have a small office where I normally write, but I also write on-the-go as I travel.

Do you like to use paper, computer, or typewriter?
I use a computer for everything except poetry. I like to use paper and pen for poetry.
What kinds of books do you read?
I read Christian fiction for entertainment, and I especially like historical ones with some romance. I also read Christian non-fiction as part of my hour-and-a-half devotion each morning.

What other books have you published?

The Appalachian Roots series
Cleared for Planting – book one
Sown in Dark Soil – book two
Uprooted by War – book three
Transplanted to Red Clay – book four


(Slight connection but not a series or sequel)
When Winter Is Past
With Summer’s Songs


The Farmers trilogy
Promise – book one
Peace – book two
Pardon – book three


Standalones
Mountain Mishap
It All Started at the Masquerade


Coming soon
Through the Wilderness
On the Road to Jericho


What other ideas do you have in the works?
My problem is finding the time to write all the stories I have in my mind. At any one time, I have from four to eight story ideas that are clamoring to be told. In addition, I always have books going through different stages. I’m writing the first draft for a new one, reading and editing one already written, have at least one with my own editor or beta readers, and often have one in the publishing process.

Do you only write for adults or have you also written for children?

I have only written for adults so far. I think my daughter may the one who writes for children after she retires from teaching. We’ll see.

What is your best advice for a new writer getting started?

If you are passionate about writing, don’t give up – persevere. And never stop learning how to make your writing even stronger.

Is there anything else you’d like to tell us that is unique about you and/or your writing?

Besides the research, I don’t do a lot of planning on paper before I start writing, I’ve lived with my characters for months or longer and had scenes playing in my mind. When I start a book, I know my characters and setting well; I know how the story will start and vaguely where it will end. Then, I write as I read, to find out what happens. My books are character driven, and they sometimes surprise me along the way, because they tend to take over the story.


My main goal in writing is to glorify God and encourage and inspire readers. I want them to finish my books and feel touched in a special way but also feel satisfied. - Janice Hopkins

In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And he shall direct your paths. Proverbs 3:6 NKJV

Hey Kids:

Janice was just a kid when she knew she wanted to write. What do you like to write about? 

How do you get your ideas?

Where do you like to write? Paper and pen or computer?

I'd love to read what you write. Please share. Maybe next week I could share an interview from YOU!

Blessings, 
Gail

No comments: