Sunday, August 5, 2018

To School With Love




This I command you, that you love one another. John 15:17 NASV



While teachers are scrambling to get classrooms ready between meetings, someone planned Meet the Teacher Night.

This year in the midst of my craziness, I thought I'd plan an activity for parents to give their child.  Checking out the back to school ideas I ran across this from laughingkidslearn.com. 

All I need to provide are small smooth stones, a permanent marker, red fingernail polish and a set of instructions. As I show the preschoolers around the classroom, their parents will make Love Rocks. The directions are simple. Write the child's name on the back with the marker. Then make a heart on the front with the nail polish.

On my instruction sheet, I will tell parents to give the Love Rocks to their child each morning with a hug and a goodbye kiss for the day. The child may keep the rock in their pocket or bookbag.

I will have a folder for each child with their name and a heart. Each morning they will place the folder in a basket for me and my assistant to check. I'm placing the heart beside their names on the folders to remind them we love them too.

At the end of the day, the folder with the heart will go home in the bookbags with the reminders for the next day. I'm hoping all these signs of love will remind the children to give the folders to their parents and bring it back the next morning. I'm also hoping it begins to build a sense of community where we love one another.

I may begin the year with that verse in the context of a simple explanation of Dr. Martin Luther King's dream for his children and ours. We also need you praying for our teachers and our students.

Love,
Gail

Hey Kids:
What are ways you can show love? It doesn't have to be all hearts and flowers.

Here are some ideas:
  • Write a note to mom thanking her for the lunch she packed. Place it in your empty lunchbox. 
  • Sit with the forgotten child at lunch or recess.
  • Invite a new child to join in your games and investigations.
What would you add to our idea list?



No comments: