Sunday, October 7, 2018

The Innocent for the Guilty

The boy's stomach growled. Several of the boys looked his way. Most just looked straight ahead.

When the teacher dismissed the students for lunch, the boy watched as Big Jim left his lunchpail by the steps to play ball. The boy knew stealing was wrong. He also knew Big Jim could squash him in a minute if he got caught. His stomach growled again. Surely it was worth the risk. Besides if Big Jim was hungry he would eat and not play ball. Just this once, no one would know. He grabbed a ham biscuit and scooted behind the school where no one would see.

When Jim came back for lunch, he was surprised there was nothing in his pail. No one ever dared to steal anything at school. Teacher would use that big stick in the corner and whoop a boy good if he was caught stealing. The teacher spied Jim's look of surprise.

"Ma must have forgotten to pack my lunch pail," Jim replied. The teacher rang the bell for the students to resume class.

"Now," said the teacher in a stern voice, "who took Jim's lunch today?"  No one answered. They only looked around the room for the guilty child.

"I took it, sir. I didn't have any lunch and I was powerful hungry, " answered the boy.

"Step up here," replied the teacher as he reached for the stick in the corner.

"Wait." Big Jim jumped from his seat and ran to the front, standing between the boy and the teacher. "Sir, he's awful small to take a whooping. You see how scrawny he is. I know you got to punish someone for the deed so's no one else tries the same, but could you whoop me instead?"

"Yes son, I can." The teacher motioned the boy back to his seat. With tears streaming down his face he gave the licks to Big Jim.

"Can you fix an extra biscuit every day for a friend so he doesn't get a whooping?" Jim asked his ma that evening.

From then on, Big Jim and the boy ate lunch together. The teacher didn't need to use the stick again.

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. I John 1:9

This is the story the preacher told the night I confessed my sins and took Jesus as my Savior. He's taken care of me ever since. This is my modern day parable. Yes, it's just historical fiction but it worked to touch my heart.

Hey Kids: 

Last week I wrote about Jesus' story of the wise man who built his house upon the Rock. It was a parable the people of the first century understood. With all the floods and hurricanes, it may be one that you understand as well.

Do you have a parable you can share with a friend or family that could make a difference in their life? Ask Jesus what He'd like you to share. We would love for you to share your stories with us.

Blessings,
Gail


No comments: