Sunday, July 28, 2013

Catch the Vision


A Little Child Shall Lead Them painting by William Strutt




Where there is no vision, the people perish; but he that keepeth the law, happy is he. Proverbs 29:18

This week we spent a few days camping in the Great Smokey Mountains at Cades Cove. It’s a very different place where no one and nothing feel afraid. Little sparrows literally hopped around our feet collecting the crumbs we dropped from the picnic table. A deer grazed at the side of the ranger station. People walked by. Cars passed. Nothing caused the deer to startle. Butterflies landed on children’s fingers. And I wondered, why can’t life be this peaceable every day? Then I remembered there will be a time when life is peaceable. God tells us in Isaiah 11 that there will be a peaceable kingdom on earth, a time when animals and children play together without harm. We got a small vision of that time for a few days this past week. How nice it will be to see that and feel the peace every day.

But what is the key to peace on earth? Isaiah 11:9 holds that key. There will be a time when “the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea.” Jesus gave us a command just before he sparrowleft. In Matthew 28:19,20 He told us, Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

How can I go into all the world; we might ask. Just by starting where we are with our family, with our friends, our neighbors, or even on this site. The internet reaches into all the world, even to closed countries where missionaries can’t go.

What do I say; we might ask. All we need to do is tell someone how Jesus changed our lives. Tell someone how Jesus died for you. When you see a butterfly, tell how that butterfly is a new creature, totally changed from a caterpillar. When you hear a bullfrog croaking, tell someone how that frog is totally changed from a tadpole. We can show someone by our actions and our words that Jesus has totally changed us. Let me be the first. I was 15 years old when the Holy Spirit began to nudge my heart that I was a sinner. He made me begin to realize that if I died, I would not be in heaven. At a campmeeting on a hot summer night, I went to an alter and asked forgiveness of my sins. I asked Jesus to save me. He changed my life that night. I am not perfect but I am a very different person now who loves that Lord and seeks to keep His commands. He has given me a vision for my future.

Tell someone in person, in a letter, on the phone, or join a discussion on this site so the earth will be full of the knowledge of the Lord.


No comments: