Sunday, January 13, 2019

Our Promise Keeper





For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. Jeremiah 29:11





Sometimes it seems all hope is lost. It's just too hard to believe things will change or ever be alright again. We're too young or too old. May as well forget it. But is anything too hard for the Lord, our Promise Keeper? 

From the time I was a young teen, I knew all I wanted was to be a wife and mother. I was very good in school. The other kids were surprised I had no interest in college or a career. I had no dates until I was 20. I knew before we dated that this would be the man I would marry. At 23 we married and immediately started our family. In 4 years time, I had 3 children and the doctor told us our children were so large (10+ lbs) I wouldn't be able to carry another child to term. I was heartbroken. What was happening to the dream and what I thought was God's plan for us? 

When God told Abram to leave his homeland and his relatives, He promised to make Abram a great nation (Genesis 12:1,2). Abram was a young man with a young wife. Surely it was hard for them to leave everything and everyone behind and seek a new land, but they were young, adventurous, God-fearing, and God believing.

God believing - that was the key to the promises God made to Abram. Abram was different from other men, even from his family. Abram's nephew traveled with him but soon even he left Abram for the riches of this world. 

God blessed Abram with cattle. He took care of Abram and Sarai no matter what they tried to figure out for themselves because God had made a promise. Abram appreciated all God was doing for them but there was one promise he didn't see how God was going to keep. God had promised Abram a son. God had changed their names to Abraham (father of many nations) and Sarah (princess) but Abraham was 99 years old. He laughed that a child would be born when he was 100 and Sarah was 90. When Sarah found out she laughed too, but God's answer was "Is anything too hard for the Lord"  Certainly the Creator of the Universe is capable of anything except a lie. He cannot lie (Titus 1:2). At the appointed time Isaac was born to the couple old enough to be great-great-grandparents. 

Why did God choose Abram and Sarai? Why did He wait so long to give them their promised child? God said:
For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the Lord, to do justice and judgment; that the Lord may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him. 
Genesis 18:19

It was hard for Abraham and Sarah to wait. It was hard to stay faithful but it was all part of God's plan to prosper them and prosper us. We may be waiting for a mate, or a child, or healing. We may question what God is doing, but know that He will never leave us or forsake us. His plan is the best plan. 

When my oldest child was almost four, he started reading environmental print. I decided he needed to learn to read. I bought material and over the course of the next year or so I taught him. I taught his brother and his sister. I went back to school and finished a degree in Early Childhood Education. I got a full-time teaching job when my oldest left for college. So I was a stay at home mom for them.  For over 20 years I have taught 30 to 40 children each year. They don't forget me. They speak to me in the halls. They come back and visit me when they are seniors. They bring their children to me to teach. As I near retirement I see the Lord has filled my home with many more children than I could have ever born. Children I nurture and bring up in the Lord if only for a few hours for a few days. When my husband retired he became a bus driver of all things. God's plan is always the best plan. We just have to be patient. 

Hey Kids:

What are you waiting for? Do you want to be popular, athletic, or maybe you are in need of healing?

First, know you have turned from your sins and given your life to Christ.

Then look at your mentors and the gifts God has given you. Are you musical, artistic, construction minded, or do you love cooking? 
You don't have to be an athlete. Most likely you won't be popular as a Christian. 

But know God has great plans for you. 
Wait on the Lord. Ask Him to show you how to use the talents He has given you. And yes mothering is a career and a talent that girls should never be ashamed of. 

Blessing while we wait on God, 
Gail



No comments: