Sunday, January 14, 2018

Hide and Seek


Pray without ceasing. I Thessalonians 5:17

I want to welcome Jetta Allen as my guest blogger this week. 

Jetta lives in North Carolina where she writes stories for children and devotionals for adults. She and her husband Jim are retired. They often ask their children if the grandchildren can come out to play. Jetta's experiences have shown her how prayer can change a situation. Today, she relates one of those experiences with a snake. Personally, I think snakes are always a good reason to pray. 

On Saturday, nine-year-old Ethan watched his mom shine a flashlight in the kitchen cabinets and under the sink. He peeled his orange and licked juice off his fingers. “Mom, why don't you call Miss Jen and pray about it, like the Bible says?” 

Beth Adams nodded. “You're right. What was I thinking?” She called her friend and explained. 

Jennifer's laughter rippled through the phone. “Oh, I'm sorry, Beth! I've never laughed at a prayer request,” Jennifer said. 

“I know. It's the strangest request ever, but we've looked all over since we got home yesterday,” Mrs. Adams said. “I'm desperate. I don't want to spend another night wondering where it's hiding. With Jason gone for the sixth-grade weekend trip, it's up to the rest of us.”

 Jennifer snickered and Mrs. Adams waited for her friend to settle down. What were a few more minutes, anyway? Jason's pet snake escaped over twenty-four hours ago. “Yesterday afternoon, Ethan went to refill its water. That's when we realized Fang was missing. He escaped from the old aquarium Jason used as a snake home,” Mrs. Adams said. “I'm thankful he's completely harmless, but still . . .
At bedtime, I handed Ethan a bath towel with instructions. He rolled his eyes, but took it. I stuffed another one against the bottom of Tim's and my door. I did not want to discover Fang coiled up by my shoes.” Mrs. Adams peered under the sink again while Jennifer giggled. “This morning, Tim went to work, but Ethan and I looked in Jason's room again. We're still snakeless.”

“Whew, what a problem. Ok, no more laughing. Ready to pray?” Jennifer asked. 

“Yes, thanks to Ethan. He suggested it. I was so busy searching, I forgot to ask God for help. God cares about every problem, I know. Even pet snakes.” 

Ethan headed outside while the two friends prayed. They asked God to reveal Fang's hiding place. “Thanks, Jennifer. I'll update you later,” Mrs. Adams said.

She headed upstairs to look once more in Jason's room. There sat Fang on the desk, swaying like a small cobra. “Lord, that was a fast answer. Thank you. Now it's my turn,” Mrs. Adams whispered. On school books, by the snake lay Jason's big work gloves. Mrs. Adams eased a hand into one and grabbed the snake. Fang resisted. “Oh, great,” she mumbled. She pulled harder. He was stronger than he looked. At last, he gave up and whipped his body around the glove and her arm. Mrs. Adams shuddered. “Okay, Fang, let's get you back home.” She banged on the window. When Ethan looked up, Mrs. Adams held up the snake. The back door slammed and footsteps trotted up the stairs. 

“Wow, you found him!” Ethan grinned and leaned close to the snake. “Hi, Fang.” 

“The Lord uncovered him, so I had to do my part. Run find that old scrap of plywood. And Ethan—hurry. I'm not crazy about holding him.” After easing the snake into the aquarium, Mrs. Adams and Ethan covered it with plywood and stacked heavy books on top. 

Later that afternoon, Mrs. Adams peeked in the aquarium. “Fang, we forgot to leave you air holes. We can't have you smothering.” She called Mr. Adams at work and explained the problem. 

When he got home from work, he and Ethan built an escape-proof lid from a window screen. “This snake's home is really fancy now.” Mr. Adams gathered his tools. “Jason will be surprised tomorrow.” 

“I still don't like snakes, but this little guy is okay.” Mrs. Adams looked at Fang curled against the aquarium's glass wall. “He obeyed his Creator and came out of hiding.” 

“When a problem seems too small to pray about, let's remember Fang,” Mr. Adams said.

Hey Kids:

What experiences have you had that reminded you that prayer is always the answer?

Try writing out your experience. 

Don't forget to use your five senses in describing your story. 

Mrs. Allen and I look forward to reading your prayer experiences. 

Blessings,
Gail

No comments: