Sunday, December 1, 2013

The Feast of Dedication

 

Photo: This village from Better Homes and Gardens made me think of another winter scene. Learn more on this week's blog post.

And it was at Jerusalem the feast of dedication, and it was winter. And Jesus walked in the temple in Solomon’s porch. John 10:22,23

It’s that time of year. Cookies, gingerbread houses and decorations galore. As I tried to copy the picture of a winter gingerbread village in a jar, I wondered what winter was like for Jesus. There were no Christmas trees, no holiday cookies, no . . . . But wait, there was the Feast of Dedication – Hanukah! Jesus walked in the temple in Solomon’s porch! He saw the city all covered with snow. There may have been holiday cookies, and gifts. There was a menorah burning in the temple by the alter of incense. Jesus may have been thinking about the lights of the temple and the miracle God had preformed. Hanukah celebrated the fact that God caused the temple lamps to burn 8 days on 1 day’s oil.

Today, we are in the midst of the Hanukah/Christmas season. Though the world tries to put out the true meanings of Hanukah and Christmas, we must keep the light within our hearts shining, demonstrating God’s love to the world. Whether we read Isaiah 53 or John 3:16 the message is still the same. It is our job to let the world know God sent His only Son to be the sacrifice for our sins. May we dedicate our lives to the Messiah. May we let our light shine before others to glorify our Father which is in heaven. 

I put the finishing touch on my gingerbread village tonight. I think I may tie a ribbon with the verse on it to remind me of the city of Jerusalem Jesus saw that winter. To remind me to keep my light shining to glorify the Father.  How are you keeping the Messiah in the Season this year?

No comments: