Sunday, February 23, 2014

What's My Purpose?

What's my purpose? Watch for my blog post.

Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name. Psalms 100:4

I’ll admit it. I struggle with public worship. I like to sing and sit and listen but raising my hand, standing alone, and other forms of worship that make me noticeable also make this introvert uncomfortable. Then I think, haven’t I been given something, something very special. What’s should be the reply? “Thank you!” of course. God’s reply is  “You’re welcome.” Here the conversation begins. Fellowship begins.

When God created the heavens and the earth and all the plants, birds, fish, and animals, there was no one with whom He could fellowship. So God created man in His image, someone with feelings, thoughts, and most of all voice that could praise and fellowship with Him. God wanted someone who would give worship and with whom He could have fellowship. That was God’s purpose for man. Man was a reflection of God. He had body, mind and soul. I think, how thankful to be in a perfect garden with perfect weather, perfect food, and friendly animals. Adam and Eve could take a deep breath and enjoy talking with God about the wonderful, beautiful world he created just for mankind.

Man was created perfect for worship and fellowship. But when man made the choice to disobey, sin and death entered into the world. Adam and Eve broke fellowship with God. Man lost his purpose and he has been searching for it ever since. The problem is the world doesn’t want to admit we are out of fellowship with God. We keep searching for a purpose.

So how do we find purpose again? Take a mirror. Hold it where you see yourself. Now hold it where others can see a reflection of you. The purpose of the mirror, regardless of where you hold it, is to reflect whatever is in front of it. If we are in right fellowship our lives will reflect the image of Christ to the world. Thankfulness, praise and blessings will reflect His image to the world. It will also reflect back to God who will fellowship with us.

But how can we reflect? First we must realize that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Second we must turn to Him in repentance (a change of heart about our actions/sins) and ask forgiveness. God will always say “Yes.” That begins the conversation. How about a “Thank you, Lord”? How about praise and blessings. Worship then begins and the fellowship of a new life in Christ. We should now be a reflection to God and a reflection of God to the world.  


God sent me to an awesome conference this weekend. I praised and worshipped and learned with fellow believers. My prayer is that as I go into next week, I can reflect Christ to the world I will be in.

How’s your mirror working?  Are you entering into his gates with praise and into his courts with thanksgiving?

Won’t you let us know what God is doing in your life to help you fulfill your created purpose?

No comments: