Sunday, February 2, 2014

The Sharp-shinned Hawk


 www.utahbirds.org

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works. II Timothy 3:16,17

I heard the call the sharp-shinned hawk this morning. The kids ran out on the deck to look for it. They watched as the hawk called from the top of a tall poplar. Then they suddenly ran back into the house. “What’s wrong?” I asked.

“We heard something way off that sounded weird.”

“Maybe it was the mate calling.”

“No, it was different.”

“Well, sometimes the call of the female sounds a little different.” They went back outside. This time there were two hawks in the top of the tree, watching the open ground and woods around them. The kids watched until the hawks flew off together. Then they needed to know more. They searched their bird book to find when hawks nested. They wanted to know if they were just here for the winter or were they permanent residents. The more they learned the more they wanted to know.

Who would have thought that listening and watching hawks on a cold Saturday morning would have caused so much interest in learning? I don’t know how the knowledge the kids gained from researching hawks will help them, but if nothing else it helped research skills and it was fun. I often find that listening and watching for what God is doing will cause me to search the scriptures to find words of comfort, of peace and instruction.

Lord Jesus, may my eyes be open to the things You are doing in my life, my church, and my community. May it cause me to search the scriptures to know more about You and how I fit into Your plan. Help me to be obedient to those things You are willing to show me. In Your name I pray. Amen.

No comments: