Sunday, June 8, 2014

Who Wants a Glass of Milk When You Can Have Steak?

As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby: If so be that ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious. I Peter 2:2

As new Christians, we should desire the milk of the word, the things that help us grow. Just as we wean our children from milk and begin to feed them vegetables and meat, so we as Christians should reach a point where we desire the grown up, meat, the steak of scriptures.

Hebrews 5:14 says: But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

I often wondered why daily devotionals with one scripture verse and a blurb of application did not satisfy me. Everyone else used those devotionals. Then I realized I had been reading a chapter every day from the time I was saved at 15 until I was about 20. That devotion to scripture had gotten me through the Bible several times. A boy got in the way, I'll have to admit, and it was not until after we married and had a child that I resumed my habit.

I didn't say all that to brag on myself, but to encourage you to go deeper in the Word. I want to change the standard devotion format of this site to something deeper, but still be able to share it in a family devotions context. I'd like for you too, to share the things you are discovering through deeper study, through our comments section. We can all learn and grow from each other. Next week I want to begin in Genesis and hopefully go chapter by chapter, yes even the begats, to help us all grow with the meat of the Word. I'd like to use the SOAP model to help us dig deeper.

S - Scripture
O - Observation
A - Application
P - Prayer

Lord Jesus, as we begin this study anew, help us to share the meat of Your Word with one another that we all may grow stronger and be better servants in Your kingdom. Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Amen.

A new format is coming to Our Father's World site.

No comments: