Sunday, August 24, 2014

New Beginnings


Fear Thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness. Isaiah 41:10

Yes, it's that time again, back to school. Whether back to public school, private school or home school, this is the season for new beginnings. Everyone is anxious as to what the year will bring.
Jacob was anxious about returning home. He got especially fearful when he learned his brother Esau was approaching with four hundred men! But Jacob did a wise thing. He talked to God.

Genesis 32: 9-12 is Jacob's prayer. A lot of the prayer seems to be reminding God what He promised to Jacob and his forefathers. I think he was really reminding himself of all God promised to do for him. Verse 12 says, And Thou saidst, I will surely do thee good, and make thy seed as the sand of the sea, which cannot be numbered for multitude.
I want to laugh at Jacob because he knew exactly what God said but he really needed to remind himself that God was going to work everything out for good. But are we not just like Jacob. We run into a rough spot and we get all bent out of shape and wonder if God is going to keep His promises. I often find myself quoting scripture, not to remind God of his promises but to remind myself that God's got me and there is nothing man can do to me that trumps God.

Going into the new school year my have us a little bent out of shape, but remember God's got you and there is nothing that is going to come up that He can't handle.

The rest of the week's readings from chapter 32-36 helps us see the kinds of troubles we may face in our families, but Jacob knew where to turn and how to repent to restore the fellowship with God. Esau knew how to become great in a land but did not give his family the promises and peace that comes from God.

Thank you Lord, for knowing just how to handle our fears and problems. Help us to remember that our help comes from You and Your desire is to only do us good, even if it seems grievous at the time. In Jesus name we pray. Amen.

Blessing for the new school year,
Gail

No comments: