Sunday, March 29, 2015

A Mustard Seed of Faith


If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you. Matthew 17:20b

I need my glasses, but this particular day while I was sitting on the couch, the screw worked loose and dropped into the couch. How would I ever see the tiny thing? If I happen to find it, who would put my glasses back together? I had work to do! I needed to read for school. I needed to cook supper. I needed my glasses and I was home alone. I stood and began to feel across the cushion as I tried to see the tiny screw. If I lifted the cushion, no telling where the screw would roll to or go flying off to. What was I going to do? "Lord, please help me find the screw." It was a feeble plea. My faith was about as big as a dust mite. But as I lifted the cushion, I heard in my head, this male Southern voice say, almost with disgust, "There it is." Sure enough, along the edge of the couch lining with all the crumbs, lay my little screw. I was so excited I wanted to tell someone. I wanted to jump up and down. I just bowed my head and said, "Thank you, Lord. Thank you." I carefully picked up the screw and got a magnifying glass to help me put my glasses back together.

When my husband got home that night, I wanted to tell him the whole story but somehow it just didn't come out quite the same. Sometimes you just have to be there.

In the Mark 10, Blind Bartimaeus cries out to Jesus. Many try to shush him, but Jesus asked what Bartimaeus wanted him to do. Bartimaeus needed to see. He had the faith it took to ask Jesus for the sight. Bartimaeus' request was immediately granted.

Jesus is always at hand to answer our requests, our needs. Had Bartimaeus not called out, he would have still been blind. If I had not called out, when would I have gotten my glasses fixed? Finding a screw seems like such a little thing compared to what Jesus did for Bartimaeus, but He is interested in even our little things.

What need do you have today? Have you told Jesus? The answer may be just a prayer away. Mustard seeds aren't much bigger than dust mites. Even dust mite faith worked for me.

Blessings,
Gail

No comments: