Sunday, May 17, 2015

Free as a Bird


 

When I drove into my carport the other day, I found what appeared to be a flicker bird “trapped”. She flapped and beat against the windows and the chimney and the walls. Around and around she flew exhausting herself, then lighting on a window sill or the brick chimney to rest. I went in to get a broom hoping the flicker bird would light on it and I could carry her out to the open air. It worked for humming birds.

It didn’t work for flickers. She flapped and beat even harder and opened her beak to breathe as I reached the broom out for her to land. She headed for the chimney as I raised it to block her way, again hoping she might yet land on it. After a few more blocks she flew lower to escape the broom. This time she found the one opening to fly to freedom. She headed into the wide open space of the neighbors’ yard, then made a hard turn to the huge magnolia tree. I turned to take the broom inside.

We have all found ourselves trapped by the sin of bad choices. We run around crazy, beating ourselves up, doing all we know to do to save ourselves, unwilling to take the one way of salvation Jesus offers us. It’s not until we reach that point of knowing we have nowhere else to go that we go in His direction.

If you have not yet repented of your sins and allowed Jesus to do the saving, today can be the day you are set free. Jesus says, “I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh to the Father, but by me. (John 14:6KJV)


No comments: