Sunday, May 24, 2015

My Weedy Garden


 

But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall. Malachi 4:2
 

With school coming to an end and conferences to attend, my garden is left unattended. The weeds are taking over, especially in the areas where the plants are the smallest. Some I can take out with what I call my wiggle waggle hoe. The rest I’ll have to plow under and start again. A good excuse didn’t stop the weeds from growing. If I had taken time to just give the garden a few minutes attention each day, it wouldn’t be in such a mess today.

Our spiritual lives can be just like my garden, full of things that hinder our growth and testimony. All our “reasonable” excuses don’t stop us from growing spiritually weak. If we take time each day to read God’s Word and pray it will prevent a lot of spiritual weeds. Daily prayer and personal Bible study is important but, there’s more to your spiritual garden than just you.

My garden has many plants. Some are smaller and more tender. That's where the weeds grow the thickest. As a child, I remember Mom and Dad, reading the Bible to us and praying with us. I remember spending the night with Grandma and kneeling with her by the bed for nightly prayers. The examples of my parents and grandparents helped me know I could go to them with questions when I didn’t understand God’s plan. Family alter set the tone for our home. No, it wasn’t perfect by any means but, the positive godly expectations kept us on track even through the teen years. Our families will grow spiritually strong and flourish if we make time for family alter.

I wonder what changes our families, our nation and the world would experience if we who name the name of Christ weeded our spiritual gardens, pulling out the things that hinder our relationship with God and our families and making room for those things that set the tone for eternal blessings.
Blessings, 
Gail 


No comments: