Sunday, June 5, 2016

God Hears My Every Whisper


Anatomy and Physiology Flash activity
Image and information provided by 

Hear, O Lord, and have mercy upon meLord, be thou my helper.Psalms 30:10
My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: John 10:27

Do you ever talk to yourself? Have you answered back or a thought came to mind that gave you an answer? I've heard many people say, "I've never heard the audible voice of God." But what is hearing? 

The picture above shows how sound waves enter our ears, travel through the ear canal, then to the ear drum. The ear drum passes the the vibrations to the middle ear bones where they pass farther into the inner ear that looks like a snail. That's the cochlea. There are thousands of tiny hair cells inside the cochlea that change the vibrations into electrical signals which are sent to the brain through the hearing nerve. The brain tells you that you are hearing sound and what that sound is. So, hearing actually takes place in the brain? I believe it does.

Have you ever heard the question, "If a tree falls in the woods and there is no one around, does it make a sound?" It does make vibrations, but unless there is a person or an animal around whose brain will interpret those waves, there really is no sound. I may hear another language and understand some or all of it because I understand a smattering of several languages, but my husband may hear the exact same words and have no understanding because he only speaks and understands English. True hearing involves more than sound waves as the diagram above explains. 

Here's the second matter, if you hear a sound but cannot interpret the meaning of the sound, have you heard it? I certainly can't follow any directions if my brain can't interpret the meaning. Often we mothers ask a rhetorical question of our children, "Did you hear me?" Sure they heard you, but did they understand, or are they ignoring you?  

Just because sound waves have not traveled down our ear canal to our ear drum, vibrated their way to our middle ear and farther to our inner ear turning into electrical signals for our brain to interpret does not mean when God speaks, we have not heard Him. It does not mean, he does not talk to, or with us. How often have I asked, "Lord where is ...?" Then a little voice in my head says, "Look in the ...?" I didn't think up that answer or I would have already looked there. Sure enough, the object for which I have been searching (my keys or my phone) are right there. Just yesterday, I saw a little thunderhead making, and I whispered, "Lord, you know best, but it sure would be nice to get a little soft rain from that cloud. It's awfully dry." Less than ten minutes later a little soft rain began. I needed to go to the store and the farther away I went the less rain. By the time I came out there was no rain, but a quarter mile from the house, the drizzle picked up again. I turned on my street and the rain was coming down - just right for my garden. Coincidence you say. There are no coincidences with God. He hears my every whisper and gives amazing answers. By the way, I did not pray out-loud. God and I by passed the ear and went straight from the brain/heart to His Heart. The more we listen for His voice, the more we will allow Him to lead us. 

What amazing talks are you having with God? We'd love for you to share. 

Thank you Lord, for hearing my every whisper.
Gail

Hey Kids:
Have you ever thought about hearing without using your ears?
Have you ever seen anyone use sign language? 
What about reading? I say the words in my head when I read. Am I hearing? 
What other ways can you think of that cause you to hear with your brain or heart but no sound is heard with your ears?
For one day, or a few hours, make a list of the things you don't hear with your ears, only with your brain.
Is your conversation with God on the list?
List - hmmm - did I hear myself say that word as I wrote?



No comments: