Sunday, July 9, 2017

In a Garden


And God said, “See, I have given you every herb that yields seed which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree whose fruit yields seed; to you it shall be for food. Genesis 1:29 (NKJV)

What's your favorite fruit or veggie? What herbs do you enjoy?
Have you ever wondered what it was like for Adam and Eve to walk through the Garden of Eden picking anything they wanted to eat and eat to the full?

I love everything there is about a garden; the beauty of the blossoms, the sweetness of the fruits, the difference in the taste of homegrown tomatoes or anything homegrown for that matter. The quiet stillness, the smell of damp soil, the buzz of bees, the light touch of butterflies, it all speaks peace and joy and contentment.

Can you imagine God planting a garden, heaping the soil with His own hands, planting every herb and seed bearing plant all for Adam and Eve and us to enjoy? It's amazing how He sequenced the ripening of each plant. Just as I begin to tire of eating one food, another ripens and the excitement begins again.

Here in SC spring awakens peach and apple blossoms first. The smell is pure heaven! Then come the wild greens, poke salad and ramps.  As the strawberries turn red, the morels push their way up through moist forest earth. Then wild blackberries and wineberries ripen, followed by the blueberries. Tired of berries? The green beans begin to come in with a few figs. Onions are rounding up along with the cabbages followed by tomatoes, corn and okra, peaches and new potatoes. The fall will bring watermelons, pumpkins and apples. Just as the leaves begin to turn, there's the rain of hickory nuts, walnuts and pecans. After the feast of Thanksgiving, God quietly blankets our gardens with snow, giving rest to the soil and to me.

That quiet stroll through my garden at any season opens my heart to thankfulness and the voice of God reminding me of His goodness, His sovereignty, His provision. Just as He did with Adam and Eve, He reminds me to evaluate where I am and of my relationship with Him. Sometimes I find myself close and sometimes I find myself trying to hide among the leaves, but He continually stands ready to forgive and renew that relationship, just as He continually renews the garden with a new sweetness and joy.

Hey Kids:

What's happening in your garden?
Where is your quiet place to hear God's voice?
If you don't have a garden, a few recycled containers or a kiddie pool will work.
No seeds? It's not too late to plant a fall garden.
Leave a comment and I'll let you know how to contact me for a few free bean and watermelon seeds.

I hear a summer storm rumbling in the distance. Thank you Lord for every provision; the sun, the seeds, and the rain. Most of all thank you for providing Your Son for the forgiveness of my sin. In Jesus name. Amen.
Blessings,
Gail

No comments: