Sunday, August 6, 2017

Who Am I? - Identity Crisis


 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. Genesis 1:27 KJV

How do we answer our children's questions or their silence about their identity? With honesty.
Satan is using every possible means to confuse our tweens, teens, and young adults as to their God given identity and their roles in society and their homes. But is this a new trick? 

Satan tells the same lies to every generation with a new twist. Think back to when you were beginning puberty. Did you ever wish you were the opposite of who God made you? I'm going to be honest. Yes, I wished I was a boy, prayed for God to turn me into a boy, and did things to try to help God make that happen. Had it not been for an aunt and grandmother who were wonderful female mentors and who were willing to talk openly about their experiences, I'm not sure how I would have turned out. I wasn't a Christian at the time. 

At fifteen, I received the Lord as my Savior. Then Satan hit me with suicide. I didn't want to die, but I was afraid to be alone, especially in the kitchen with the knives. No one knew about my anxiety, but my grandmother kept pouring her life experiences into me, helping me grow as a Christian. The Lord kept giving me a verse in a song. Finally a pastor said we all needed a verse of assurance. I realized the Lord had been giving me that verse all along, but Satan had me afraid to believe it, stealing my joy and my effectiveness as a witness. 

So how do we share these hard things with our children? We tell them what they want to know when they ask or when we see a teachable moment at the mall or in the park, or on TV, because they may not ask. In love, we help them understand that everyone has feelings of confusion and fear. Satan uses those feelings to lead people into sin and to disable Christians from being useful. Let your children know they are loved by you and by God. Let them also know the people being led astray are loved by you and by God. Christ never despised anyone. He shared with them honestly, but in love. Jesus tells us to go and do likewise. 

Hey Kids: 
Did you know God has a special purpose for each and every person? If you're a girl, God has a special purpose for you. If you're a boy, God has a special purpose for you. 

How can you know that purpose? You might begin by making a list of things you like about being a girl or a boy. 

Now think about all the ways God can use the things you like. Those are your talents. 

Maybe you like creating new clothes with your mom. God may use you to design modest fashions for young girls. 

Maybe you like working on cars with your Dad. God may use you to be a mechanic or design cars. 

God is preparing you right now to fulfill His purpose for which He created YOU!

Why not thank Him for making you who you are and giving you the talent to fulfil His purpose. 

Blessings, 
Gail



No comments: