Sunday, August 13, 2017

Why God? Why? - Identity Crisis Part 2

Your eyes have seen my unformed substance;
And in Your book were all written
The days that were ordained for me,
When as yet there was not one of them. Psalms 139:16 NASV

A few days ago, I saw a feature on a husband and wife who designed fashions for the wheelchair bound. They were both paraplegic, so they knew the needs of those who spend their lives in wheel chairs. This couple was so vibrant and enthusiastic with life. They had found their purpose. 

Last week, here on the blog, we were talking about God having a purpose for each of us. We are not all born perfect. Even if we are perfect newborns, that doesn't mean life will always be the same. We all have storms and face our own disabilities. We may be born with a disability or we may acquire one through injuries or accidents or disease. These storms in our lives are to make us stronger and let God make us into the person He can use for His glory. 

Remember the story in John 9 where the disciples asked Jesus why this man was born blind. Who sinned? This man or his parents? Jesus' answer was that neither the man nor his parents were responsible for his blindness. God had formed the man blind to show God's power through this man. God had a purpose in this man's blindness. Jesus made a mud paste for the man's eyes. He had him wash in the pool of Siloam. Then the man received his sight. The man wasn't mad at Jesus for making him blind. He was ecstatic that Jesus had healed his eyes and he could now see. 

I wanted lots of children, but God had a different plan. He gave me three healthy children, but their size limited my ability to have more. The doctors told me and my husband that I would not be able to carry another child to term. It broke my heart. All I had ever wanted was a big family and a garden. God had other plans.

As my children began to grow, I saw that God had given me the ability to teach them to read. I loved watching their little lights come on in their heads as they learned how letters and sounds worked together on a page. I began to see how God's plan for a family and being surrounded with children was falling into place. As my children reached school age already equipped with the ability to read and write, I went back to finish my degree. For the last 25 years I have had the privilege of having a classroom in a district where I could nurture children, teaching the fundamentals of reading and writing and showing them the love of Christ. My desire for children, unbeknownst to me, would be fulfilled in my mission field - a classroom.  

Hey Kids:
What does glory mean? 
It means to give the correct opinion or estimate of.

If you watch old movies or maybe Andy Griffith, you may hear someone say they want to do their family proud, or don't shame your family.
You want to give others a correct or good opinion of your family. 
Others will judge your family by your actions. 
King Solomon wrote: 
Even a child is known by his doings, whether his work be pure, and whether it be right. Proverbs 20:11
Not only do our actions give others an opinion of our family, but it also gives others an opinion of God. 
This week check out Galatians 5:22,23. This is a list of the fruits of the spirit. 
Make a list of the fruits.
Each day try to think of ways to show at least one of those fruits by your actions that others might know you are part of God's family.

 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. Matthew 5:16
Blessings,
Gail


No comments: