Sunday, February 8, 2015

Skittering verses Flying



Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved. I Corinthians 10:33

While driving along a back road, a little unidentified bird skittered across the road in front of me. I wondered, why didn’t this bird fly? It would have been quicker and easier, it seemed. Though I couldn’t distinguish the type, I knew it wasn’t a killdeer who would normally run instead of fly. What was wrong with this bird? Was he too afraid to risk flying? Was he hurt? It didn’t appear so. His wings were neatly folded against his sides. It was not the time of year for young birds. This had to be an adult acting like an immature bird too afraid to fly!

Then I thought, do I sometimes skitter through life situations when I should be mature enough to fly through with faith? Paul tells the church at Corinth he fed them with the milk of the word and they hadn’t grown. He couldn’t give them the meat because they still acted like infants (I Corinthians 3:2).

I want to be a mature Christian who acts in a way that demonstrates the love and peace and concern for others that Christ demonstrated. Paul understood the scriptures. He understood the customs of the Jews and Gentiles. Paul’s desire was to reach people by whatever means possible. That is my prayer as well. I want to know the scripture, understand the cultures of the peoples both young and old that I come in contact with that I might be able to reach them through means they understand. I want to try the wings of faith for the salvation of others.


No comments: