Sunday, August 4, 2019

Sent Forth as Sheep


Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves. Matthew 10:16

I have this little figurine group of a shepherd and his flock on my desk. I don't know the actual background or reason for the figurine but to me I see the Good Shepherd going forth with His sheep. 

Jesus says He sends us forth as sheep in the midst of wolves. We know wolves are there to destroy sheep. Sheep need to be cared for, watched over and guided to fresh pasture and water. They aren't very capable without their shepherd. Neither are we. 
Wolves don't need anyone to tell them which sheep to destroy. He just takes the first convenient sheep he finds. Do you ever feel like no matter what we say or do it's in conflict with someone or something? We as Christians are not politically correct at this point in history. If you study history closely Evangelical Christians have never been politically correct, ie. the Pilgrims, persecutions of the Middle Ages, persecutions by the Romans, and even by Saul/Paul himself.  But Jesus has sent us forth among the wolves. 

We have a job to do. Just as sheep provide wool for clothing, milk, cheese, and yes even meat so we must provide the spiritual things the world needs; the preaching of the Gospel, baptizing, and teaching to observe all the things Jesus has commanded. And He, the Good Shepherd will be with us always, even unto the end of the world (Matthew 28:19,20).

I've been praying for a vision for young people, to have an opportunity to train these young Christians to observe all the things Jesus has commanded us. Today I saw an amazing answer to those prayers. If God gives you the vision, step out, He'll go with you and answer those prayers He has laid on your heart.

Hey Kids: 

Have you had the opportunity to memorize Psalms 23?

In my first grade class (yes, in public school 1962) I was given that opportunity with a prize for reciting it in front of the class. I was shy and memorized but wouldn't do it in front of a class. But God implanted His word in my heart and now uses me in front of a class every day at school and every Sunday.

That Psalm is about how the Lord leads me along as part of His flock, giving good pasture and good water and a place to rest. 

Memorizing Psalm 23 is a great place to start learning about being a sheep. 
When you are faced with the wolves of this world you will remember whose sheep you are and where to go for help. 


Blessings,
Gail



2 comments:

Diane B said...

Thanks for the great word of encouragement here! :) love to read your posts.

Unknown said...

Diane, you are such a blessing.