Sunday, October 6, 2019

Children in Church

“Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these." Mark 10:14 NIV

Parent Worries
Have you ever worried that your child might cause a disturbance or a distraction in church?
Did you think, maybe I should have left her in the nursery? Maybe I should have made him go to children's church. Maybe I should just stay home, I'm not getting anything out of the service anyway.

Be assured that is Satan desiring to keep your child from learning to worship.

As a teacher of young children, each year I see children who know little to nothing about the reason for Christmas and Easter. Christmas is Santa Claus and presents. Easter is the Easter Bunny and candy. There is a total disconnect with the two most important Christian holidays.

God's Truth
Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them,..."
 Why?
Imagine it was your children Jesus took on His lap and blessed them. What would be your emotions, feelings, actions to such an act of caring? How long would you remember that day? How often would you rehearse that occasion to your children?  If they were old enough to remember would they ever forget?

The Importance of Children

  • Demonstrating worship is a church action.
  • Children need to see their parents worshipping. 
  • Older people need to be encouraged that there are children to keep the church going.
  • Young people need to see their children will be welcomed.
  • Children need to know they are welcomed and cherished as part of worship.
  • Children need to hear the songs, the music of worship.
  • Children need to see the feelings and emotions tied to worship, the tears, the repentance, the joy.
  • Children need to be a part of worship that they will remember all their lives.


  • Let your children come to Jesus even if they are so small all they do is cry or sleep.
    Jesus wants them there and so do you.

    Hey Kids:

    What are your first remembrances of church?

    I remember an older couple who sat in front of us. They always handed my brothers and me gum. We loved them for their kindness, though it was probably to help us stay quiet.

    I remember trying to hold the hymn book and helping my parents sing. Daddy took it and turned it right side up for me.

    I remember there was no air conditioning and on Easter Sunday the stain glass windows were open just a few inches at the bottom. I could hear the birds chirping and smell the spring flowers as the preacher spoke about Mary and the others coming to the tomb very early in the morning. It was as if I was experiencing that moment of resurrection with them. For me, it was a soothing, happy experience.

    Do you have memories to share? Your parents and siblings would probably enjoy hearing your memories. I know I would.

    Blessings,
    Gail


    No comments: