Sunday, December 8, 2019

Once in a Lifetime

 And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless. Luke 1:6

Earlier this week I had a birthday that made me a member of the Medicare Club, but more importantly, the first few verses of Luke were my part of my devotions that day. Like me, Zacharias and Elisabeth were older folks. They went about their daily routines not thinking much about how many things happen in the course of the day that are once in a lifetime events.

Zacharias was taking his turn serving in the temple. It's my understanding most men didn't get to do that but once in a lifetime because of the number of men available. While he was serving an angel appeared to him. Now that seems like it should stand out as a once in a lifetime event. The angel came with a message from God but Zacharias doubted the message. His doubt caused God to shut his mouth for a time but it didn't stop God from fulfilling His purpose. 

Then there was Elisabeth who was never able to have a child but found herself pregnant after her husband returned home. Remember she was old too. She hid herself until she was showing, maybe because the other women would accuse her of being crazy. 

I just got to thinking a birthday is a once in a lifetime event. I'll never be this age again. Then I thought the things that happen this day will never happen again. Am I missing something that God wants to use to fulfill His purpose? Does God try to tell me the special plan He has for me?  Am I doubting His purpose in my life? Do I expect God to use me? 

I spent that day celebrating that my birthday was a once in a lifetime event that God would use for His glory and my good if I paid attention. I entered that day looking for what God was doing. Can I put my finger on something special that occurred? No, but that doesn't mean I won't see it in the future. Maybe the something special was that I was recognizing that every day is a once in a lifetime event that I shouldn't waste. 

I came across a quote that sums it all up very well. 

Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can. - John Wesley

Thank you, Lord, for allowing me to be participate in Your great plan every day. 

Blessing in this Christmas Season,
Gail

2 comments:

Diane B said...

love your post Gail. what a reminder to slow down in this busy season long enough to enjoy what is most important. or, perhaps your blog warns us to be aware of the holy in our daily lives; whatever of God's wisdom we find reflected here in your writings, I pray we can glean all that we can so our lives are better prepared to receive Gods' best for our lives. Thanks for sharing your writing with us. :)

Unknown said...

Diane, thanks for stopping by and contemplating with me about God's best for our lives. Blessings for your Christmas.