Sunday, October 11, 2020

Singing in My Head


 The Lord thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing. Zephaniah 3:17

Have you ever listened to a baby "sing" himself to sleep? There were no words and very little tune, just the sweet soft "la, la, la" of sleep. 

Often I wake in the night with a song in my head. Not the kind that gets stuck and rambles around forever like "Baby Shark" but the Lord's songs of rest and peace and even strength. Where do they come from? I haven't listened to the radio before bed. The alarm isn't going off with music. I'm not dreaming, — just singing. Or is it me?

The Lord says He will joy over you with singing. In this troubling, disquieting, crazy time we live in, could it be that the Lord is singing over me peace and rest? Is it His singing I hear? Whatever has awakened me, the voice of singing calms me, relaxes me, and I drift off to sleep again. 

Often I find myself singing in the day. When the TV is off and the house or garden is quiet I notice there's a song in my head. Sometimes I begin to openly sing but more often I just enjoy the music while I clean or pull weeds. I rest in the Lord knowing He never leaves me or forsakes me whether in the day or in the night. All I need to do is Be still and know that He is God and He joys over me with singing. 

What song is the Lord putting in your heart and mind this week? 

Be blessed.
Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; Ephesians 5:19

Gail


2 comments:

Janice D. Green said...

I love it when a beautiful hymn or anthem rolls over in my mind all day long.

Gail Cartee said...

Same here Janice. It makes the day so much brighter when the joy of song covers us.