Sunday, March 14, 2021

Steeping My Heart in the Word

 


...his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.
 Psalms 1:2

Iced tea or hot tea? Sweet tea or herbal tea? The truth is they are all made the same way. It's just the way you choose to sip them that makes them seem different. They all need to be made with hot water and steep time. Tea is not fast food. Most teas take about five minutes of steeping time. Then it needs to be strained. When I was a child my mom had to pour the tea through a strainer into a pitcher with the sugar and water. Even today we often use tea balls for our hot teas. It takes time to make good tea. 

It takes time for things to soak into my mind and then drip down into my heart. Studying God's word is one of those things that I need to allow time to soak. Devotional time is not a fast food. Join me as I  make devotional tea today. 
  • Measure out the amount of tea I want to make. 
    • Decide how much scripture I want to read. Personally, one chapter is about all the scriptural tea I can drink at a time.
  • Place the tea in a cup.
    •  Find a quiet spot.
  • Pour boiling water over the tea.
    •  Pray before I read, allowing the Holy Spirit to flow over me.
  • Let the tea steep for five minutes. 
    • Read, listen, soak, let the word diffuse in my mind and heart.
  • Remove the bag carefully, squeezing or dripping the tea into the cup. 
    •  Letting the words reach into my heart
  • Add sweetener and stir.
    • Allow time for God's word to sweeten my heart, bringing the joy of the Lord to my day.
  • Sip quietly, peacefully,  noticing my surroundings. 
    •  Quietly, prayerfully meditate, journal Jesus's words to me, notice how to apply them in my surroundings. 
I am prepared, ready to start my day or perhaps to rest from today equipped to face tomorrow. 

Blessings, 
Gail








 


No comments: