Sunday, June 13, 2021

Sinking Sand

But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 
~ Matthew 7:26 (NIV)

Wouldn't you just love to build a house on the top of that hill? There's a great view of the ocean on the other side. You can see the sunrise on the left and the sunset on the right. There's just one problem. 

My husband and I walked these dunes at Jockey State Park in Nags Head, SC this past week. It is the largest sand dune in the Eastern United States. It is huge, 60 to 100 feet above sea level depending on how the wind has shifted the sand. There are no roads in.  The walk is through the sand, deep shifting sand. Sometimes I felt like I would sink to my knees.  I'm sure it was no more than my ankles but it felt strange to walk for probably a quarter of a mile or farther through shifting sand that threatened to throw me down at every step until -- until I learned to walk on sand that had no footprints. I'm a mountain girl. I walk in the snow. I use prints others have made. I can see the depth of the snow. But sand is another trial. When I walked in the tracks of others I sank. I couldn't tell how deep it was. I couldn't tell how far I would sink. Actually, it was 60 feet deep or more. The sand was firmer when I walked on the untracked places. I sank less. 


Back to building that house with the ocean view. We would have to trek the materials through the sand or have a helicopter drop it in. Think about what would happen as the strong breezes blow across the dunes almost all the time. It wouldn't take long before the foundation would shift and the house would collapse. I believe I'll find a good solid mountain boulder to build my house. I may have to climb up like a squirrel on a grapevine but at least I know it will be there when I reach the top because it's built on solid rock. 

Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.
 ~Matthew 7:24,25 (NIV)

So what are the words that Jesus wants us to put into practice? You've probably heard it many times. 

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.” ~Mark 12:30-31 (NIV)

Do you think you could put these words of Jesus into practice? I'm afraid we would be building on sinking sand if we tried to do it by ourselves. Jesus said when the foolish man built his house -- 
The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.” ~Matthew 7:27 (NIV)

When we build our lives on Jesus Christ, we will be on a firm foundation that no storm or wind could ever level. 

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. ` Ephesians 2:8,9 (KJV)

Father, please forgive my sin and show me how to build my life on your Son, Jesus Christ, the Rock of our salvation. In Jesus's name. Amen. 

Hey Kids: 

Have you ever tried to build a sandcastle? What happens when the tide comes in or when it rains? 
If you build the castle on a rock and build it with sturdy material what happens then? Do you think the castle will withstand the tide or the rain? 
Do you know the song "The Wiseman Built His House Upon the Rock? Click here to see a video by the Cedarmont kids.
You might want to try building and singing along with them. 

Blessings, 
Gail



 

2 comments:

Melissa Henderson said...

My family loves the Outer Banks and Jockey's Ridge. Yes, walking on that sand can be difficult. Yet, the beauty viewed from the top of the ridge is amazing. Have a blessed week! :-)

Gail Cartee said...

Melissa, thanks for your comments. Jockey's Ridge is an amazing sight. Looking back from the top to the beginning it looked like a scene from an old Western, something we here in the east rarely get to see.