Sunday, July 11, 2021

Our Promise Keeper

 


The picture doesn't even come close to what I saw the other afternoon. As we traveled down Saluda grade the dark clouds rolled over the mountains. A gleam of orange showing through the gap made me think there must be a rainbow over there. Suddenly the mountain directly in front of us was covered in a wave of colors. The red/orange outlined the peak. The yellow washed down over the top, turning into a vibrant green, then blue, then violet, then indigo. I had never seen a rainbow cover a forest overwhelming the green with its colors. We drove straight into the rainbow. As suddenly as it appeared, it was gone. 

And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud:
 And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh.
 And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth.
~Genesis 9:14-16 KJV

The rainbow first appeared to Noah after they left the ark after the flood. It was to be a reminder that the Lord would never flood the whole earth again to destroy all flesh. God has kept this promise. There has been seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night since that time (Genesis 8:22 KJV). 

Mountains arise in our lives. The Lord covers those mountains with his promises. We only need to look into his word to see his cover of love. 

I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. ~Hebrews 13:5KJV

fear not, for I am with you;
    be not dismayed, for I am your God;
I will strengthen you, I will help you,
    I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. ~Isaiah 41:10 ESV

And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. ~Romans 8:28 ESV

What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 
~Romans 8:31 ESV

 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. ~Ephesians 6:10ESV

Heavenly Father, thank you for always keeping your promises. Thank you for the reminder of the rainbow that you are our promise keeper. We love you. In Jesus's name. Amen.

Hey Kids:

Rainbows are just one of the many things God gives us as a reminder that He is our promise keeper. What other things can you see in the rainbow that is a reminder of God's love and promises?
Here are a few hints.
  • There are 7 colors. Seven is a number God uses to remind us of his complete work.
  • The colors are always in order. God is not the author of confusion but everything works together in harmony. 
  • Red is always the first color. Red is the color of blood. Faith in the blood of Jesus to cover our sins is always first in a relationship with Jesus. 
  • Rainbows are actually circles though we usually only see part of the circle. Circles are a reminder that God is eternal and his promises are eternal. 
What other promises does the rainbow bring to mind? 

No comments: