Sunday, February 13, 2022

Just a Rock

 



That this may be a sign among you, that when your children ask their fathers in time to come, saying, What mean ye by these stones? Then ye shall answer them, ~Joshua 4:6-7a.KJV


Hebron Falls 1.4 miles to the right. That’s what the trail sign read. “Take us about an hour, my guess,” I said.
“Quarter to 5 now. Let’s go,” my husband answered.
The trail was easy through a meadow, then we went into the woods. Roots began to cover the trail; mud, streams, rocky ledges. I know why we are supposed to hike with a buddy. I needed Rick’s hand to pull me over the rocks! I hoped this waterfall was going to be worth it.

Finally, we could hear the fall tumbling below. A sign: Hebron Falls with an arrow pointing downward. Here we went again. At the bottom, we looked up on a tumble of rocks with a stream running willy nilly through it. “Seen better,” Rick said. So had I. I took a few pictures with my cell phone and was about to leave when I spotted it.

“Look at that!” There at the base of the falls in the middle of the rock pile was a man-made stack of small stones. “I bet there are 12 stones there.” I pointed, counting from a distance out loud. Sure enough, 12 stones.

I don’t know who or why those 12 stones from the river were stacked at the base, but I do think they were put there for a reason. Maybe to commemorate something special on the hike. Maybe just to say I’m a Christian and I want others to think about God while they are here in His creation. Maybe none of these things, but to me, it said, “Tell the story of what Jesus has done for you.” God commanded Joshua to have a leader from each tribe take a stone from the middle of the Jordan River and make a pile of standing stones so their children and generations to come would ask, “What mean ye by these stones?” God wanted the Israelites to pass on the great things God had done so their children would learn to have faith.

There are other stories in the Bible where people placed stones of remembrance. The first that comes to mind is the altar. Altars were made of stones. People made sacrifices to remember God and thank Him for all he did for them. Jacob raised his stone pillow up to be a pillar of remembrance. 

Father, help us to remember what great things you have done for us. Help us to be thankful and share the stories of your blessings with our families and those we meet. In Jesus's name. Amen.

Hey Kids:
There are lots of ways people try to remember things. Some tie a string around their finger. Others write things in the palm of their hands. Some carry a rock or other item in their pocket to symbolize an event or person they don't want to forget.

Let's not forget to daily worship and fellowship with God. One way might be to place a stone on the hearth or a coffee table to remind you and your family of family altar time. Just as the people of the Old Testament built altars to worship, we need to have that "family altar" time to worship the Lord as well. 

2 comments:

Sheryl H Boldt said...

At my recent ladies group, I talked about "Our Stone Collection." I gave each lady a small bound index card (about 50 pages) so they can keep a diary of all the ways God has delivered or intervened in their lives. These "Stone Collections" will be a valuable aid in remembering God's faithfulness. And perhaps a treasured keepsake to be passed down to their children and grandchildren.

Gail Cartee said...

Sheryl, what a wonderful idea and a great keepsake that I hope the ladies continue long after their card index is filled.