Sunday, July 10, 2022

A Place in the Shade


He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High
Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.

I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress;

My God, in Him I will trust.”
~Psalms 91:1-2 NKJV

 The heat and humidity have been almost unbearable but for the shade trees. On the edge of my garden is a huge sweet gum. I can find a gentle breeze there when everywhere else is hot and still. I need that tree. It's cooling and comforting. It reminds me of the tree at Grandma's back when no one had air conditioning. We'd bring peaches in out of the orchard and make a churn of fresh peach ice cream. In the fall we'd peel apples to make applesauce and jelly under that big tree. Folks don't do much sitting under trees nowadays but that tree on the edge of my garden is a sweet cooling reminder of those earlier times. 

I wondered why it is that there is almost a totally different ecosystem under the tree. The temperature drops. There's a sense of refreshing. So my got-a-know mentality took over and I did a little research. The roots of the trees take up water and then transport it to the leaves. The sun draws water from the leaves causing a cooling effect like when we perspire. The cells of the leaves that allow evaporation are on the underside of the leaves. So the water vapor is just over our heads, not on the top of the canopy of leaves. 

Those few moments of rest under the sweet gum tree refresh me. A cool drink of water and I'm ready to return to the garden for a few more beans and a tomato or two. 

Jesus, The Water of Life is not in some distant universe. Like the leaves transpiring just over our heads, He is close, covering us with His love and His refreshing spirit. We can safely dwell under His shadow while all the world is a hot mess around us. We can draw close to Him and He will draw close to us, calming us, filling us with His refreshing spirit to return to the fields of this world, white and ready for harvest (John 4:35). 

Heavenly Father, we ask you to cover us with your peace and tranquility. May our minds set themselves on you and know that you are in charge of all that goes on. Refresh our spirits to return to the fields that are ripe and ready. In Jesus's name. Amen. 

Hey Kids:

Do you have a favorite place to rest from the heat? No, not inside in the air conditioning. I'm talking about a favorite place outside. What makes it a good spot to rest? My guess is it's under a tree and the temperature is cooler. Just how much cooler? How about a little research? You'll need:

  • 2 outdoor thermometers
  • a watch
  • a notepad and pencil
Write down the time and check the temperature under a tree and on the grass out from under the tree.
In a couple of hours check the temperature again taking note of the difference in both places. 
In which place has the temperature risen the most? 
Do this several times throughout the day. Does the shadow of the tree eventually cover the grassy spot you first checked? Has the temperature risen or lowered as the shade progressed over the grassy spot? 
Where do you want to spend these lazy days of summer? Save me a spot in the shade. 

No comments: