Sunday, September 24, 2023

Stories in the Rock

 



The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. ~Psalms 18:2

Rocks, stones, pebbles, are you forever finding them in your children's pockets, in the bottom of book bags, or in the corner of their sock drawers? Maybe there's even one in your pocket once in a while. The Bible has a lot to say about rocks. Though the word rock or stone isn't used, one of the first places in the Bible to allude to rocks is Genesis 8:20 when Noah came off the ark and built an altar to offer sacrifices. Abraham built altars everywhere he traveled. He built an altar intending to sacrifice his own son but God had other plans. 
Rocks weren't just used for altars. Jacob used a stone for a pillow while camping out. The next day he stood it up as a pillar to help him remember God's promises. Joshua was commanded to place 12 stones in the Jordan River where the priest bore the ark of the covenant. He was to take 12 stones out and place them as stones of remembrance of what God did for them. 
David said God was the Rock of his salvation. A foundation must be solid, built on rock. Christ is symbolized as the Rock throughout the Bible. He is the one on whom our lives must be built. 
Paul in I Corinthians 10:4 says "That Rock (that produced water for the Israelites) was Christ". Water is necessary to maintain life. Jesus is the Rock that supplies us with the water of eternal life.  
Rocks are common everyday things, but if we put on our spiritual eyes the stones will cry out to us of Jesus every day.
 And he answered and said unto them, I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out. Luke 19:40
Heavenly Father, may we cry out. May we be the voices that tell the world that you are the Rock on which our lives are built. You are the one who supplies us with eternal life. May others see the fountain we are drinking from. May Your kingdom come and Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. In Jesus's name. Amen. 

No comments: