Sunday, December 31, 2023

Consider Job

 Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him. Job 13:15a (NKJV)

Job is probably one of the least read books of the Bible but consider Job for just a moment.  He's living the American dream with a wife, ten children, a nice home, lots of cattle (that would be a bank account in our terms), and lots of servants. We know people who seem to live that life. We sometimes tend to be a little envious of them. But what if, like Job, everything was suddenly taken away?

Disaster struck and Job lost all his cattle. War took his wealth. We all have friends and family, maybe even ourselves who have lost jobs or homes or both. Some have even lost their comfortable lives because of war. 

Then a natural disaster, a great wind struck Job's children. They were all killed. Again, we or family or friends have experienced hurricanes, tornadoes, or fires. 

What more could Job have suffered? God allowed Satan to take Job's health. It's hard to watch someone suffering with their health and no one can help. 

Then Job's marriage took a nose dive. All these disasters affected his wife as well as Job. She was ready to just give up and die. No, more than give up, she told Job to curse God and die. But Job saw the bigger picture. He admonished his wife for foolish talk. He understood everything he had was a gift from God, his wealth, his children, his health, and his wife. 

Job understood that the grave wasn't the end. 

For I know that my Redeemer lives,
And He shall stand at last on the earth;
26 
And after my skin is destroyed, this I know,
That in my flesh I shall see God,
27 
Whom I shall see for myself,
And my eyes shall behold, and not another.
How my heart yearns within me!
Job 19: 25-27 NKJV

I see those who struggle with income disasters for one reason or another, yet their faith is strong.
I see those who have lost a child or children yet their faith is strong.
I see those who have lost their health yet their faith is strong.
I see those who struggle in their marriage yet their faith is strong.

How can they maintain their faith? Just as Job did. Their faith in Jesus as their Savior and Lord helps them face each day. They know that whether they live or die they are winners either way because Jesus has a place prepared for them that is better than anything they have seen or can imagine. I know that salvation as well. 

Heavenly Father, we know our lives are full of trouble and our days are in your hands. I thank You for the promise of eternal salvation because of the gift of Your Son who died in my place. Father, may I keep the faith until the whole world knows. In Jesus's name. Amen. 

No comments: