Sunday, June 9, 2024

Anoint My Ear

 


Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8

Many years ago we had puppet shows in Vacation Bible School. Ready Rabbit would help us sing songs flopping his ears and bouncing across the puppet stage. One of my favorites was O Be Careful Little Eyes What You See. Each verse named a different body part eyes, ears, hands, feet. No matter how old I get, those words still ring true especially at this time of year when so many churches are having VBS. 

This week I was directed to a verse in Exodus 29:20 where Moses was told to anoint the right ear, thumb, and big toe of Aaron, the high priest, and his sons with the blood of the sacrificed ram. It was to remind them that they had a special anointing to be careful of the things they heard, the things they did and their "walk" or behavior was to honor God. 

In Revelation 1:5,6 says we are loved by Jesus who washed us with His own blood and made us kings and priests. Wow! Have you realized you are a king and a priest in the kingdom of God? When we accept the sacrifice of Jesus and repent of our sins, He saves us, cleanses us from all unrighteousness, and makes us new creatures. We are anointed by His blood! We have a special job just as Aaron and his sons. 

The picture of someone whispering into an ear reminds me of how the things I hear influence the way I think. The song says, "O be careful little ears what you hear." Just like a computer, what goes in is what comes out. What am I allowing in my ears, the ears of my children, and what is coming out for the ears of others? 

Heavenly Father, remind me to only listen to those things that You whisper in my ear rather than the things the world whispers or yells. Help me to be aware the words I speak influence the thoughts and hearts of those around me. In Jesus's name. Amen.

Hey Kids:

Do you have a summer journal of the special things you see and hear in nature? I love to go outside and listen to the birds and the squirrels chattering and the wind blowing through the trees. At night I love to hear the crickets and the tree frogs. I like to draw and paint things that are special to me, things God has created to give me joy and hope and purpose. 

I'm thinking about making a list of those things in Philipians 4:8 (the verse at the top of this blog) then making a note or drawing to remind me of things that are true, and honest, just and pure, lovely, and of a good report. 

I may just start with the nest of wrens on my back porch. I hear their chatter as they talk to their chicks, and bring them food. I hear their little ones chirping for their parents to return. Now where did I put that sketch pad?


No comments: