Sunday, April 28, 2013

It’s Planting Time

I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. I Cor. 3:6 KJV

On Saturday afternoon, I carried two hanging baskets from a downtown garden center to my little red SUV. As I set the baskets down behind it to open the lid, a lady approached and began telling me her money problems. She had been locked out of her motel room where she and her children were staying. She had to call someone to come get her children and she still needed $20 to get back in the room to get her things. I truthfully told her I didn’t have any cash. She turned and looked across the parking lot, then vanished among the cars.
         
I smugly sat down in my nice newly paid off vehicle and thought, “That was a smart answer. She couldn’t be mad. She couldn’t rob me and she didn’t get drug money. I handled that just right.”

Then the still small voice said, “Why didn’t you direct her to a church for help?” That’s all it took for me to see I had missed the mark again. If I had told her where to get help, a seed would have been planted whether she took advantage of it now or later. Who knew when it may have been watered by another and sprouted into spiritual fruit? Who was I to judge that she didn’t really need more than drug money?  Who knew if a church with counseling could have helped an addict? God knew and He had put her in my path. I had failed miserably.  

Before I cranked my fashionable little red SUV, I bowed my head and prayed, “Lord, forgive me and please don’t let me miss another opportunity like that again. Help me to plant the seeds you have given me, so others may water and You may give the increase. In Jesus name. Amen.”

We’d love for you to share opportunities to plant the seeds of grace. Please leave us a comment.
Blessings

No comments: