Sunday, January 5, 2020

Attitude and Focus


This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it. Psalms 118:24

I've been reading a true story about a believer named Joe who was wrongly imprisoned for attempted rape. He earned the trust of his guards who put him over a group of inmates on work details. The thing about Joe was his attitude, his smile and it was contagious. No matter what he was asked to do he did it with a smile. That's what had won the trust of the guards. 

Joe noticed when others were down. His focus was not on himself or his surroundings. His focus was on people. He noticed his fellow inmates. He cared about them. They learned to trust him. His focus on them helped him get work done and do it without undue stress.  As a believer, he trusted God to help him accomplish whatever task was before them. In other words, he left the day in God's hands and fulfilled his duties rejoicing in the Lord. Everyone knew Joe had something special. 

I'll tell you more about Joe but for now, I'll let you know I needed to check my attitude and how it affects my smile, my relationships at home and at work. While reading Joe's story I realized I live in a different time, under better conditions. I'm not in trouble with the law. I have food, warm clothes, and a good roof over my head. I live in the best times and in the best place, this world has ever known. Not because I'm better than Joe. It's because this is the time and place God chose to use me. I am here for such a time as this. Joe found ways to be happy and grateful in the worst of circumstances. He cheered himself up in the Lord. What's my problem? 

My attitude adjustment is to trust God with the day. I want to focus on the children I teach and the people I meet. The paperwork will get done and so will the housework. The children will learn what they need and my family will be happy if my focus is on them. I will not stress over just stuff. This is God's day and I will rejoice in it giving Him the praise for all He accomplishes in me and through me. 

Oh, if you'd like to read the rest of Joe's story it's in Genesis chapters 40 and 41. 

Blessings,
Gail






No comments: