Sunday, March 1, 2020

Seedlings

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6


It's time to start the tomato seeds here in the Upstate of SC. I've gathered my heirloom seeds, my organic mix, a mini-greenhouse, and little pots. Now for those of you new to beginning tomatoes, I place the pots in the mini-greenhouse, add soil, sufficiently water the soil, place a couple of seeds in each pot and cover with soil to the top spraying again with water. 

Now the most important part.
I cover the plants with the lid of the greenhouse. Why you may ask is that the most important part? Because now I have to leave the seeds and soil alone while I do other things and wait on the little seedlings to sprout.

I was thinking about how much our children are like plants. We want them to grow so we should give them the best "soil" in which to grow. The ideal place would be a stable Christian home. After all, they are our heirloom seeds. Water them with the spirit of peace and love. Daily infuse them with God's word. Protect them with the covering that lets the Light of Jesus in and allows the moisture of the Holy Spirit to keep them supple and growing. Never would I leave the lid off my seedlings' greenhouse. The moisture would escape and the plants would wither and die. As the seedlings grow I may take off the lid for a few hours to begin hardening off the sprouts before putting them in the garden. I'll also begin to put them outside for a few hours to expose them to the cooler temperature. I'll always remember to water and cover them before leaving them for very long. 

What about the covering of our children? Do we allow others to raise them, others who may or may not know the Lord? They are our seedlings given to us to raise. There will come a time when we will need to let them out into the world, away from our eyes and sheltering arms for a few hours. The times out in the world will get longer but we will provide that stable home as a covering until the time they leave to begin life on their own. When they are firmly rooted and growing in God's word when their minds and spirits can withstand the heat of the world. 

In what ways are you providing the covering, the soil and the water your little seedlings need to grow strong? 
At what age do you begin to remove your family covering for a short time? 
How can you help us as readers and your family to maintain the stability of a Christian home that raises a strong generation for the Lord?

Learning to garden for the Lord,
Gail


No comments: