Sunday, April 12, 2020

Six Feet Apart


  Wherefore say unto the children of Israel, I am the Lord, and I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, and I will rid you out of their bondage, and I will redeem you with a stretched out arm, and with great judgments: Exodus 6:6

Have you ever measured cloth by stretching it from your nose to your fingertip? That's a yard, 3 feet. So from one fingertip to the other is approximately 6 feet. As we studied Exodus and the Passover in our online Sunday School, "a stretched out arm" caught my attention. I thought about how Jesus was revealing Himself in the first Passover with the sacrifice of the lamb and the blood on the doorposts and lintel, and the unleavened bread. Then "a stretched out arm" spoke to me not only of rescuing people by offering a hand but how Jesus stretched out His arms on the cross to rescue us. 

My ever quiet husband said, "Have you ever thought about "Six feet apart being like Jesus' outstretched arms?" Oh, wow! We are trying to rescue ourselves from a virus we cannot see by distancing ourselves six feet apart. But Jesus rescued us from the enemy of sin and death that we cannot see with His stretched out arms - six feet apart.

I hope all the lines and circles reminding us to distance ourselves will also remind us of Jesus' outstretched arms that are open wide to receive us. May we run into the arms of Jesus. 
Easter Blessings,
Gail

No comments: