Sunday, August 1, 2021

Plundering and Pillaging


 My friend and I went antiquing last week. As we entered one of the shops the owner, an older white-haired lady like me, asked, "Can I help you find something?"

My reply, "We're just plundering."

She laughed. "My mom used to say, 'I'm pillaging.'" My friend said her mom also said pillaging. We continued to talk and laugh as we plundered and pillaged through other folk's treasures from days gone by. Kind of sad, strangers going through the things once cherished. 

Then my friend found a beaded scarf that reminded her of a lady she worked with. The pattern on the cloth is what caught my attention. It was a Cherokee syllabary —an alphabet in the common vernacular. I looked for the trademark in the selvage. Sure enough, the name Welch was there — an Eastern Band Cherokee surname. I had my treasure. 

When I got home I stashed my treasure in my dresser drawer and thought about the meaning of plundering and pillaging. These are terms usually associated with war. In  I Samuel 30, David returns home to find his village had been burned and all their families were taken captive. The first thing David does is pray about chasing the enemy. God said go. 

On the way to catch up to the enemy, the men find an abandoned Egyptian. In exchange for information, the Egyptian wants David to promise not to kill him or give him back to the enemy. He leads David and his men to the enemy encampment. The fight ensues and David recovers everything, the families and the treasures. 

We are so much like the Egyptian. When Satan has beaten us down we finally let God take us into his hands to recover us. We don't want to be turned back over to Satan. We want to go with God and his people. What is God's answer? 

“I will never leave you nor forsake you.” ~Hebrews 13:5 ESV

The antique shop was filled with others' possessions. Their lives had been cast away and now we plundered and pillaged. But the treasure I found would be special to me as a descendant of the Eastern Band Cherokee. I was kind of like David. I was returning the scarf to its family. I would keep it and wear it as I sell my children's book about a special hero, Tsali, of the Eastern Band. 

The man David found became part of his village never to return to his old life. When the Lord comes to us and we ask for salvation, he will never leave us nor forsake us. He will never turn us over to Satan again.

And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. ~ John 10:28 KJV

Has Satan and his lifestyle beaten you down? Have you sought Jesus's forgiveness for your sin? 

Father God, help us reach out to you for hope and salvation. Help us as your children be encouraged knowing you take us as your own, never to leave us or forsake us. In Jesus's name. Amen. 

Hey Kids:

Have you ever rummaged through a garage, attic, or basement? 
I have little glass dogs my dad earned in Sunday School for learning Bible verses. I wish I knew the verses he recited. 
What treasures have you found? 
What family stories did you learn? 
Did you find something you might want to hold on to as a treasure from your family story?

Blessings,
Gail

2 comments:

Janice D. Green said...

What a fascinating find for you. And a beautiful message for all of us. So thankful for a loving God who helps us put all the pieces together.

Gail Cartee said...

Thank you Janice for stopping by. Yes, we serve an awesome God who knows when and how to put all the pieces back together.