Sunday, August 22, 2021

Using God's Talents

 





He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them. ~Matthew 25:22 KJV

A little girl loved to draw, color, and paint like other children her age, but unlike other children, she didn't outgrow her love of art. She outlined her pictures in the coloring book and carefully filled them in. She fancy cut pictures of the circus from a magazine and pasted them around the baseboard of her bedroom. The Christmas she was six years old, "Santa" brought her an easel with paint tubs, brushes, and paper. Surely by the time she was eight, she would outgrow this fascination with art. She didn't. 

Her parents had little money so getting art supplies were limited. Using the tempera paints she was able to get at the five and dime she painted a lady in a long pink gown and a castle. Her teacher seemed more impressed than her parents but she was encouraged. The tempera flaked off the more it aged but that didn't stop the girl from drawing and painting. She took art classes in junior high and high school. Sometimes she won awards. Sometimes she got discouraged but she kept trying and improving. Finally, she got oil paints and canvas. She painted a sunset for her aunt and the South Toe River for her Grandmother a place where she and her family camped. But life got in the way.

She had also written poetry from time to time. Sometimes while raising children it's easier to write rather than drag out paints. With pencil in hand, she drew and wrote a piece of poetry here and there and read Robert Frost to the children. 




She realized the Lord had given her these talents and though they were not where she wanted them to be, she was improving. I'm not where God wants me to be as a Christian but He keeps working on me and I hope I keep improving. 

Today


This morning, a pair of hungry house finches 

Searched the wreath on the door.

At noon, a wren sang a song from the dogwood tree.

Three herons flew in form, white against the evening sky.

What did I do today?


Was I hungry for God’s Word this morning?

Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

~Matt5:6 KJV

Did I search for the Truth I needed to hear?

And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. ~John 8:32 KJV

At noon, did I sing a song of rejoicing?

Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands. ~Psalms 100:1 KJV

Did I work in unity with the brethren?

That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. ~John 17:21 KJV

What did I do today?




Heavenly Father, help me not to get discouraged when I don't see the rewards of my labors as fast as I'd like. Help me know the timing is in your hands and you expect me to keep on working for your glory. In Jesus's name. Amen.

Hey Kids:

What talents has the Lord given you?
 Can you sing?
 Are you an athlete? 
Can you draw and paint? 
Do you like writing? 
Often our talents lie in what we enjoy doing. The Lord expects us to keep on working and improving our talents though we may not see what good it is doing right away. God has a plan for each of us. 

Blessings,
Gail

No comments: