Sunday, May 22, 2022

The Seed


 Most assuredly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the ground and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it produces much grain. ~John12:24 NKJV

The Seed

The seed fell to the ground
Not knowing it was dying.
It soaked up the rain,
Snuggled into the warm earth
All the while it was dying.

Inside a little root
Pushed its way out into the soil
A tiny stem with two leaves
Raised its head
Breaking the crusty ground
Reaching for the light
But the seed was dying.

Giving way to the root and the leaves
Draining itself out of all that was inside.
It shriveled and disappeared
As a new life began
From a seed that died.

I love planting a garden and watching it grow. I get so excited when I see little seed leaves push up out of the soil. I know something is growing. I know there will be spring flowers, summer tomatoes, and fall watermelons. I don't usually think about what's going on under the soil. The little seed I planted a couple of weeks ago has been dying. It contained the life that is needed to make a new plant but the seed itself is being used up. A root grew down into the soil. A stem sprouted upward and broke through into the sunlight to begin the new plant. But all that was left of the seed was an empty shell. It will finally decay back into the soil, with nothing left. 

Jesus used a grain of wheat as an example of people who follow Him. We must die to ourselves to win people to Jesus. If all we do is sit on a church pew on Sunday and then live our lives the rest of the week we are like the seed that sits in the package but never gets dirty in the soil. 

When we have a vision of winning souls we have to get "dirty". We have to be witnesses to others. Yes, being kind is part of being a witness, but unless we tell someone about Jesus we aren't getting dirty. We all have a testimony if we have asked Jesus to forgive us of our sins. We all have a testimony of changed lives. Like the seed, we have to be willing to give up our personal lives, those comfortable lives, and be willing to risk whatever reaction the world may have when they know we are Christians. Sharing Jesus with others is the only way we can "bear fruit". Not everyone will go to church and hear a preacher. We must be willing to die to ourselves and be used by Jesus so we bear fruit.     

Heavenly Father, Help me be willing to put the message of Jesus before myself. Help me die to myself knowing you will bring others to Christ through my witness. Like the little seed, I may never see the results but You see and one day so will I. In Jesus's name, we ask for boldness to be your witness. Amen.  

Hey Kids:

Have you ever watched a seed grow? 
Fold a paper towel in quarters. 
Dampen it and wring out the excess water.
Place it inside a sandwich bag.
Lay any type of seed on the paper towel. A bean seed is the easiest to watch.
Tape it onto a window that gets plenty of light.
In a few days you will see the seed begin to sprout.
Keep a journal of what you observe. 
Write the date. Draw a picture. Label the parts. 
What happens to the seed? 
                                                                         

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Convicting my heart….💕✝️

Sheryl H Boldt said...

Well said, Gail. Are you also the author of the opening poem?
I also love the way you reach out to your younger readers.

Gail Cartee said...

Thank you for reading. May all our hearts be turned to pouring ourselves out for His kingdom.

Gail Cartee said...

Sheryl, Thanks for reading. Yes I also wrote the poem. Poetry has always been my first love though I know very little about the mechanics of poetry. I always want to make sure we are reaching for our children because they are our future church.