Sunday, May 29, 2022

Thank You Only Takes a Moment

image from pixababy

Psalms 100
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands.
Serve the Lord with gladness: come before his presence with singing.
Know ye that the Lord he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.
For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.

A lone hummingbird visits my feeder this summer. This morning I remembered it had been a few days since I filled the feeder. I filled it before settling down on the porch to enjoy the morning with my latest book.  As I sat reading I heard his familiar buzz but not at the feeder. My hummingbird buzzed near me as if he was taking time to say thank you before going to his perch for a quick sip. Later another swooped in to the feeder. 

This little bit of activity made me stop and think how good the Lord is to supply all my needs. He never forgets. He's never late. How often do I forget to just whisper a simple thank you for all He does for me? How often do I direct others to the goodness He shows to all of us? Even the tiniest hummingbird knows how to say thank you. 

The Lord gave all when He sent His son to die for our sins so we might have eternal life. I wonder if others see my gratitude for His gift? Many have given all on the battlefield to give us freedom in this life. As we go about our weekend of celebration, may we remember this weekend is not for celebrating us but to honor those who gave all for us. 

May we take a moment to reflect and say a little thank you for those who gave all. 

Heavenly Father, Thank you for those who laid down their lives for our freedom, for we know there is no greater love than to lay down our lives for a brother and sister. Thank you for showing the greatest love of all by sending your son to die for our sins so that we may have eternal life. In Jesus's name. Amen. 

 Hey Kids:

Years ago many people called Memorial Day Decoration Day. They took picnic lunches to the cemetery and spent the day cleaning and decorating the graves of their fallen heroes.  Is there someone in your family who gave their life on the battlefield? Here are some ideas of ways to honor your heroes.
  • visit the cemetery and place flowers on the graves of fallen heroes.
  • take time during your family picnics to recall family histories and stories of your family.
  • look through family photo albums for pictures of your family in uniform.
  • include stories of faith in your time of sharing 

2 comments:

Melissa Henderson said...

I love hummingbirds. I have two feeders out front and one in the back yard. God has created wonderful creations for us to enjoy. Have a blessed day!

Gail Cartee said...

Melissa, thanks for stopping by and commenting. If we all took the time to watch God's marvelous creation for just a few minutes every day we would probably enjoy life more.