Sunday, June 12, 2022

Trying Something Different


Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. ~ II Timothy 2:15 NIV


I was ready to try something different. I had read the Bible through several times but I felt like most of the time I was reading the words without hearing what I was reading. I felt as though I was reading a chapter just to say I had read a chapter for the day. What was I missing? Then I saw a post by a cousin. He was demonstrating how a Sunday School group was using a method of journaling to help them better understand and apply the scriptures. Hmm. Maybe I need to give this a try. At least it wouldn't be the same thing over and over expecting different results (see last week's blog).

I bought a pretty journal, spiral bound with pretty flowers and lined pages. I found gel pens I liked. Now it was time to get down to business. I needed to choose a book. The Sunday School class was working through the book of St. John. The instructions were to pray and read the chapter letting the Lord speak to you, pointing out a particular verse. I don't remember what the verse was. I don't have the journal since it was several years ago but this was the best possible change I could have made. I had to pay attention to what I read to find the verse. I copied the scripture and labeled it with an S for Scripture. 

The next instruction was to summarize what I observed about the verse. What was the scene, the characters, and why was the verse given? So I wrote my observation beside an O for Observation.

Now to understand why this verse had jumped out at me. How did it apply to me and my life? This was a little more difficult. Some verses are convicting but more often the verse is one to encourage and lift me up. So I wrote an A for Application and discovered why the verse was mine. I needed lifting up. Life can beat you down. 

Now the last part. Prayer - a prayer to thank God for what He had shown me. How He was encouraging me. How He was calling me to draw closer to Him. After writing P for Prayer and writing down what I prayed in my heart, I felt encouraged, lifted up, ready to face a new day with a new vision. Of course, in a day or two, I wanted to go back to my old habit but to create a new habit I had to press on. I became fascinated with the things I was learning that in over forty years of regular Bible study and church attendance I had never seen. How had I missed so much? This trying a new thing was really working.

Let me encourage you to try the S.O.A.P. method. I usually get the whole devotion on one page and it usually doesn't take any longer than the time I spend drinking my cup of coffee. 

Heavenly Father, help us be willing to try something different. We all love going on adventures to new places. Help us realize You want to take us on a new adventure through your word. In Jesus's name. Amen. 

Hey Kids:

Maybe you'd like a new adventure with Jesus as well. Ask Mom and Dad to start a family Bible study.
May I suggest starting with Genesis. If you can't read yet, be sure to listen closely. In the first chapter before anyone shares, draw a picture of your favorite day. (Parents even if the picture is just scribbles with a red crayon, let it be their journal and share its meaning.) 
You older kids may want to draw and write. 
Once everyone has a chance to journal, share your favorite part of the first day. 
Encourage one another in the Lord. 
Pray about what the Lord is teaching you. 
Most importantly, enjoy this time with your family and with the Lord. 


2 comments:

Melissa Henderson said...

I love how God can teach us something new each time we read His word. Have a blessed week! :-)

Gail Cartee said...

Thank you Melissa for your encouragement.