Sunday, June 5, 2022

How's the Fishing?

 


And He said to them, “Cast the net on the right side of the boat, and you will find some.” So they cast, and now they were not able to draw it in because of the multitude of fish.   ~John 21:6 NKJV

My dad took my brothers and me night fishing a lot in the hot summertime. We tried to arrive before dark, and load the boat with our tackle and lanterns. We usually tied up to the bridge if we wanted to catch white bass. If we wanted crappies, we anchored at the best looking fishy spot. I always sat at the front of the boat. I'm not sure why unless it was because I was older and bigger than the boys. With Dad in the back, I balanced the boat. When we got settled Dad would break out the Vienna sausages, potted meat, and soda crackers. Dad would share stories about fishing, hunting, and shooting mad dogs. Long about three o'clock in the morning we would start back to shore. It was my job to keep the front lantern from dipping in the water and watch for stumps or sandbars as Dad maneuvered the boat back to the landing. The funny thing was, I almost always caught the most fish. I'm not sure if it was the location of the lanterns or my patience or lack thereof.  Dad and the boys would try fresh bait, changing sides of the boat, checking the depth of their lines, but I still came out the winner. Regardless of the amount of fish we caught we came in tired and wondering why we would sit up all night to have Dad tell us scary old family tales. 

The disciples fished for a living. After Jesus's resurrection, they seemed unsure just what to do. Peter announced he was going fishing and the rest decided to go with him. They fished all night, were exhausted, and had caught nothing. It was then that Jesus called to them from the shore, "Have you caught anything?" When his disciples answered no, he told them to cast their nets on the other side of the boat. 

They probably figured why not. Just one more cast. To their surprise, the net was so full of fish they couldn't draw it up. It was then they realized the man on the shore was Jesus. He already had breakfast on the fire for them. 

So what can we learn from this fishing trip? Many of us feel exhausted from trying to invite people to church or witness without seeing the results we expected. We become cynical thinking it's not our fault. The world is just getting worse and worse. 

Have we considered that we are doing the same thing over and over expecting different results? I often hear well-meaning people condemn the churches that are growing because they have modern music and maybe the preacher wears jeans or they use a different translation than we grew up on. 

Now John answered and said, “Master, we saw someone casting out demons in Your name, and we forbade him because he does not follow with us.
But Jesus said to him, “Do not forbid him, for he who is not against us is on our side.”
~Luke 9:49-50 NKJV

Maybe it's time to try something different. We aren't living in the 1st Century or the 1600s or the 20th century. The point is to be fishers of men, to catch fish, not stay stuck in traditions that aren't giving results. 

Heavenly Father, please give us the wisdom to know how to be fishers of men in the 21st Century. For we know you are not willing that any should perish but all should come to repentance. In Jesus's name. Amen. 

Hey Kids:

I learned how to fish from my dad. I also learned about storytelling and family history. All of these were important but the most important thing I learned from my dad was a love for the Lord. 
Have you thought about what you are learning from your parents? 
Are you asking questions about family hobbies like fishing or hunting or building things or fixing things? 
Most importantly, are you asking questions about your parents' relationship with the Lord? 
This week take a technology break and spend a few minutes finding out things you may not know from your parents and grandparents. 

2 comments:

Melissa Henderson said...

I have wonderful memories of my Daddy taking me fishing. His patience was amazing. As I learned to fish and how to be quiet so as not to scare the fish, my Daddy would smile and wait patiently. I am thankful God is patient with me, too. :-)

Gail Cartee said...

Melissa, our dads were so important in teaching us so many things. I'm thankful for a heavenly Father who is also willing to teach us.